Core Requirements (46 to 49 credits)
To earn a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with Dual Certification, students must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours. Students must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.75.
Because of the specific sequence of course offerings in the program, it is necessary for students to start education courses in the freshman year. Students starting education courses after that time may need additional semesters to complete their program.
Optional Certifications:Art Certification (P-12) or World Languages Certification (P-12)
Student Learning Outcomes
Mount St. Mary’s develops educators who are able to:
- demonstrate the content and pedagogical knowledge, skills and dispositions to effect student learning (proficient)
- examine learning to shape their practice (reflective)
- demonstrate commitment to the diversity, dignity, equality and rights of the individual (ethical)
- demonstrate leadership as active participants in the education community (leading)
- respond to the demands of an increasingly diverse technological and global society (adaptive)
An advisor in the education department will be assigned upon the student’s admission to a teacher program. The student is responsible for knowing and meeting the requirements and deadlines for internship, program completion and certification, as well as all graduation requirements of the major department and of the University. This Maryland Approved Program meets Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) certification requirement. Students are advised to consult certification requirements in states of interest early in their study.