To earn a Bachelor of Arts in English or Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with Certification in Secondary Education, students must complete a minimum of 120 credit hours. Students must earn a cumulative GPA of 2.75.
Secondary education programs in English and Mathematics lead to certification in grades 7-12.
Student Learning Outcomes
Mount St. Mary’s develops educators who are able to:
- demonstrate the content and pedagogical knowledge, skills and dispositions to effect student learning (proficient)
- examine learning to shape their practice (reflective)
- demonstrate commitment to the diversity, dignity, equality and rights of the individual (ethical)
- demonstrate leadership as active participants in the education community (leading)
- respond to the demands of an increasingly diverse technological and global society (adaptive)
An advisor in the education department will be assigned upon the student’s admission to a teacher education program, though the primary advisor resides in the major department. The student is responsible for knowing and meeting the requirements and deadlines for internship, program completion and certification, as well as all graduation requirements of the major department and of the University. The Maryland-Approved Program meets Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) certification requirements. Students are advised to consult certification requirements in other states of interest early in their study.